WEEK EIGHT - Dayton at Charlotte
6 p.m. ET
2 p.m. ET
12 p.m. ET
Live Coverage: Charlotte49ers.com
/ ESPN 730-AM (Sat. & Sun.)
• Dayton (12-18, 3-3 A-10) begins a three-game conference series at Charlotte (14-15, 2-4 A-10) this weekend.
• Senior right-handed pitcher Mike Hauschild will start on the mound on Friday. Hauschild (3-1) leads the team with a 5.08 ERA and 40 strikeouts. Dayton’s Saturday and Sunday starters have not been determined.
• The Flyers lead the all-time series with Charlotte, 7-5. The last two Dayton-Charlotte series have been sweeps by the home team. Charlotte swept Dayton in 2010 and Dayton swept Charlotte in 2009. Charlotte won the A-10 regular season title in 2010 and Dayton won the A-10 regular season title in 2009.
• Senior shortstop Brian Blasik is on an 11-game hitting streak and leads UD with a .365 batting average. Blasik ranks third the nation in doubles (as of Monday). Blasik enters the weekend with 16 doubles (UD’s single-season doubles record is 23).
• Senior centerfielder Bobby Glover has reached base in all 30 games of the season. Glover already has a 21-game hitting streak to his credit this season. He leads the team with six homeruns, while hitting .328 with 21 RBI.
• Senior C.J. Gillman leads the team in RBI with 33. Last season Gillman set a UD single-season record of 91 hits.
• The Flyers rank second in the nation in stolen bases per game with 2.93, as of Monday. After two mid-week games UD has 87 stolen bases. Last season the Flyers stole over 100 bases for the first time in program history (121).
• Right-handed pitchers Burny Mitchem (277) and Hauschild (217) both rank in the top four in career strikeouts at Dayton. Mitchem ranks first and Hauschild ranks fourth.
• The 6 p.m. ET first pitch on Friday will be the second consecutive night game for UD.
• The two-time defending Atlantic 10 champions enter their first conference home weekend with a 14-15 overall record and 2-4 mark in league play.
• Charlotte has won 12 straight home conference series, dating back to 2009.
• Senior Andrew Smith (3-4) will make his eighth start of the season on Friday night. Smith has a 4.22 ERA and leads the team with 35 strikeouts. Smith was the 2011 A-10 Pitcher of the Year.
• Shane Brown leads the 49ers’ offense with a .339 batting average and leads the A-10 with 21 steals.
• Junior closer John Hamilton was named Atlantic 10 Co-Pitcher of the Week on Monday. Hamilton pitched a combined 6 1/3 shutout inning in two appearances, earning a win against Winthrop and a save against Xavier.
• Charlotte’s .288 team batting average ranks fifth in the A-10 and its 3.93 ERA ranks third.
• Three-time conference Coach of the Year Loren Hibbs is 625-471-3 in his 20th season at Charlotte.
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORECAST – CHARLOTTE, N.C.
Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 39 degrees. North wind between 3 and 7 mph.
Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 70 degrees. North wind around 6 mph.
Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 74 degrees.
LAST TIME OUT
• Dayton went 1-1 in mid-week action this week.
• UD scored a season-high 15 runs to defeat IPFW, 15-2, in seven innings on Tuesday. C.J. Gillmand and A.J. Ryan both had multi-run homeruns. Gillman recorded a career-high five RBI after hitting a grand slam. Bobby Glover scored a career-high four runs in his hometown of Fort Wayne, Ind. Right-handed pitcher Parker Schrage earned his first win as a Flyer on the mound.
• Dayton took an early 5-1 lead on No. 1 Kentucky in Lexington but lost 19-6. Brian Blasik went 3-for-5 with two runs scored. Bobby Glover went 2-for-5 to extend his reached base streak to a season-long 30 games.